This upside down peach cake is so pretty, that you almost forget it’s an easy dessert! It doesn’t take much planning and once you have all the ingredients it’s just a matter of making the topping and then blending everything together before baking. No need to add anything gradually.
It’s a very simple basic recipe, and almost identical to my Pineapple upside down cake one. I am a big fan of upside down cakes, as they are so easy to make and look very simple when they first come out of the oven, but once you overturn it on a plate you get a beautiful cake. Perfect for when you are short on time but want something that will impress.
The single layers of peaches at the top is beautiful, and the consistency of baked peaches is amazing. The extra juice in the cake batter ensures that the fresh taste of peach runs throughout the cake and is in every mouthful.
The cinnamon adds a comforting warmness to this cake, and turns the peaches from a refreshing summer fruit to a cosy autumn treat.
One of my favourite things about upside down cakes is that you don’t need to grease your tin. The topping is so buttery and rich that the cake will fall right out of the tin. This recipe is for a small 9inch cake and I like to use a deep tin such as this one.
If you have fresh peaches, by all means use those. However I tend to use canned ones as it means I don’t need to slice them, and can get the juice at the same time. Also you can get canned peaches all year round which makes this cake a year round treat.
Upside Down Peach Cake
- 25 g Unsalted Butter at room temperature
- 25 g Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Can of Sliced Peaches
- Icing Sugar Optional
- 100 g Self raising Flour
- 100 g unsalted butter at room temperature at room temperature
- 100 g Golden Caster Sugar
- 1 tbsp Peach juice from the can
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- Preheat oven to 200degrees
- Beat the butter and brown sugar and cinnamon
- Spread it at the bottom of the tin and lay the peaches on it in a single layer
- In a bowl mix the cake ingredients until combined and smooth and pour the mixture over the peaches
- Bake at 200degrees for about 35 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean
- Once ready turn it on a plate, the peaches should now be at the top
- Let it cool and dust some icing sugar on it before serving