Smoked paprika chicken is a great midweek dish! Easy and effortless to assemble, perfect as a side for a whole range of dishes, and reheats well. Bingo!
The ingredients for this are pretty basic and I personally always have them on hand. The only thing I don’t always have is fresh rosemary, however my husband has recently started growing it on our balcony so we have plenty of it now. It’s one of my favourite herbs, I love the strong smell of it and it’s so versatile. Great with meat, chicken and absolutely marvellous with roast potatoes.
I buy smoked paprika in big bags from small corner shops or in the world food sections of supermarkets. I just use it so much, that buying the small jar is pointless. The flavour is just something you can’t imitate. The depth and subtle spiciness make it a must have spice for me. The beautiful red colour is a bonus. I even use it for my oven fried chicken! I like to heat up my spices in oil before using them just to release the taste and oils in them. You don’t need to heat it up for long, juts a minute or so.
If you can’t find the big bags in store, you can also get them amazon for a good price.
The lemons add a slight tang to the chicken and smell fantastic when roasting.
I personally use olive oil, but you are welcome to use vegetable oil or rapeseed. I’d advise against extra virgin olive oil though, as the taste of it is quite strong and I feel it might overpower the depth of the smoked paprika. I also like to finish cooking this under a grill so that I get a nice crispy coating, however this step is completely optional.
You can serve this chicken with whatever you like, I usually go for rice or velvety mashed potatoes, but lately I have been opting for sautéed or roasted veg and a nice salad. After all, sadly, my waistline isn’t going to watch itself.
Smoked Paprika Chicken
- 5 Chicken drumsticks without skin
- 3 tbsp Smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves grated
- 1 Roaemary sprig
- 1/2 cup Fresh coriander
- 1 Lemon quatered
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 200degrees
- In a small pan heat up the oil, garlic, smoked paprika, rosemary, half the coriander and chilli flakes. Only heat for about a minute or two
- Add the salt and pepper
- Score your chicken and put it in a bowl, add in the oil mixture and make sure all the chicken is covered
- Lay the chicken out on a baking pan and put the lemon wedges in between the drumsticks. Pour the rest of the oil in the bowl over the chicken and lemons
- Bake for 20 minutes and then finish it off under a grill for the last 10-15 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Garnish with rosemary and coriander and serve with your chosen dish.