These hassleback potatoes are the easiest and tastiest warm side dish you can whip up with minimum effort.
What makes hassleback potatoes special is the way in which they are sliced. Each cut stops before completely cutting the potato. It looks tricky to do however there are hacks for it!
The fist one, and my favourite one, is to use chopsticks. put one chopstick on each side of the potato and slice as normal. The knife will stop once it hits the chopstick ensure the slices don’t come off.
The second hack is to use a wooden spoon. Simply put the potato on a wooden spoon and cut, once again the wood will ensure the slices aren’t cut all the way.
Cutting the potatoes this way, results in the crispiest skin and the smoothest flesh. Almost like a mixture between chips and a jacket potato, in the same mouthful. Delicious.
For this recipe I am using the Ravishing Rosemary seasoning from Spiceways UK. Months after it was gifted to me by them, it is still one of my favourites. I won’t delve too deep into this herb mix, as I have written a review already, which can be found here.
I personally like using butter for these potatoes, however you can oil if you prefer. They will still taste just as nice, just not as rich in my opinion.
Garlic and Rosemary Hassleback Potatoes
- 9 Baby Potatoes
- 30 g Unsalted Butter at room temperature
- 1 tbsp Ravishing Rosemary Seasoning
- Preheat the oven at 200degrees celsius
- Put your potato on a wooden spoon and slice your almost all the way through at 3mm intervals. the knife will stop once it hits the spoon
- Repeat for the rest of the potatoes
- In a bowl mix the butter with the seasoning
- Brush the potatoes with half the butter and roast them for 10 minutes
- Brush the potatoes with the rest of the butter and roast them until cooked and crispy