This gluten free apple and cinnamon crumble is everything I didn’t expect a gluten free crumble couldn’t be. Crunchy, sweet and oh so satisfying.
I don’t really make gluten free things often, however when I received some oat flour from BuyWholeFoodsOnline.com I knew I had to make a dessert with it. And what more satisfying dessert is there than an apple crumble on a rainy autumn evening?
The oat flour pairs perfectly with the ground almonds, and gives the topping a very satisfying crunch. This was my first time using oat flour, and it took me a few tries to get the consistency I wanted; however once I got it I loved it. It gives it an earthiness and crunch that plain flour doesn’t give. The oat flour I am using is by BuyWholeFoodsOnline and can be purchased via their website.
If you don’t have ground almonds you can just chuck in some flaked ones in a food processor and grind them. For this I like to use my nutribullet.
For the filling I used granny smith apples, and part cooked them before hand. I do this to ensure they are soft throughout. They pair perfectly with the sweet spiciness and warmth of the cinnamon. I never used to like cinnamon, but lately I cannot get enough of it, particularly when it’s baked like in my cinnamon palmier or with fruit like in my upside down peach cake.
This recipe is for an individual portion, however you can just double it accordingly if you wish to make a bigger one. I am using a small Pyrex did like this one.
Gluten Free Apple and Cinnamon Crumble
- 1 Granny Smith Apples
- 1.5 tbsp white granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cornstarch
- 1/2 tbsp Cinnamon
- 30 ml Cold water
- 2.5 Tbsp Oat Flour
- 2 cup Ground Almonds
- 1 tbsp Rolled Oats
- 1 tbsp Flaked Almonds
- 20 g Butter
- 1 tsp Brown Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200degrees
- Peel and chop the apples
- In a pan mix the filling ingredients and cook gently, once it starts bubbling add the apples in and continue cooking for about 3 minutes or until the apples start to soften and the sugar turns into a tick syrup.
- Pour the mixture into a baking pan
For the crumble
- Put all the crumble ingredients in a bowl and use your hands to rub everything together until its all mixed and has a crumbly consistency.
- Spoon the crumble on top and bake for 30-35 minutes or until it's all golden brown
- Enjoy with a spoon of ice cream or some lovely custard