These spicy chicken drumsticks are always a hit in our house. Easy to whip up and take minimal time to prep.
Unlike my smoked paprika drumsticks I like to prep these ahead of time. I really feel that marinating them for a few hours enhances the flavours whilst keeping each drumstick juicy.
I like to blend all the ingredients together using a nutribullet so as to make a paste, however you don’t have to. You can just chop everything finely and mix it in a bowl before adding the chicken in.
Toasting the spices before using them, releases their oils and gives a much deeper flavour than using them straight from the jar so, even if you choose not to marinate the chicken, this is one step you don’t want to skip. I use one chilli for this recipe, however feel free to use more for more heat. I have to make sure mine aren’t too hot as T loves these drumsticks; but at 2 I feel she might not handle extra spicy chicken as well as an adult.
I like to use chicken drumsticks without the skin, I just find them easier to work with.
When roasting it, you want to make sure to use a grill rack. I wrap mine with foil and lay some baking paper underneath the rack so as to keep the oven clean. However make sure to remove the baking paper before turning on the grill.
Spicy Chicken Drumsticks
- 5 Chicken Drumsticks
- 50 g Plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp Tandoori spice
- 1 tsp Ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp Red Food Colouring
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 tsp Tumeric
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Red Chilli Add more to taste
- 1/2 Juice of a lemon
- 3 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1/4 cup Fresh Coriander
- 1 tsp Salt
- In a dry hot pan lightly toast the cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, ground ginger, tandoori powder, and chilli flakes. Let it heat up and stir for about 30 seconds up to 1 minute. Set aside
- Roughly chop the chilli, coriander and garlic and add them to the toasted spices in a food processor or chopper
- Add the rest of the marinade ingredients and pulse until you get a paste
- Score the chicken and spread the marinade on it, making sure to cover every part of the chicken
- Let it rest in the fridge for about 3 hours before cooking
- Preheat the oven to 200degrees
- Cook the chicken on a grill rack for about 20 minutes and then cook it under the grill or broiler for a further 15 minutes or until it is completely cooked
- Garnish with lemons and coriander and serve