Long summer days always put me in the mood for fish. Maybe it’s because it tricks me into thinking I’m near the beach, or maybe it’s because fish is usually easy to make and therefore requires minimum time in a hot kitchen. Either way for me summer is fish season, ice cream season too but I can’t make ice cream…yet.
Today’s recipe is a very simple yet ridiculously tasty baked cod. It has very few ingredients, it’s healthy and I can quickly whip it up when in a rush. It does use a lot of garlic but that’s optional, you can use less if you like. I just love garlic. I grate my garlic as I find it easy and also find that it releases more flavour, however crushed will work just fine.
The crust is made of flour, shallow frying it for a couple of minutes is what gives it its beautiful golden colour, however if you are short on time you can skip this step. It isn’t necessary.
This dish is only 422 calories per serving, however that can be reduced by using different butter and skipping the frying.
I like to use fresh cod, however you can use frozen, but will need to make sure it is fully defrosted first as this will not work with frozen fish. If you don’t have cod you can use another white fish such as basa or haddock. I am a big fan of cod and use it a lot, if you fancy another recipe how about my cod poached in tomato sauce?
I like to serve it with a bean and quinoa salad but it goes just as well with rice or a nice garden salad.
Lemon and Garlic Baked Cod
- 2 boneless fillets of cod
- Coconut oil for frying
For The Garlic Butter
- 4 cloves Garlic Grated or crushed
- 1 Lemon Juice
- 50 g Salted Butter
- 1/2 cup Flat Leaves Parsley Chopped
For The Coating
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Dried chilli flakes
- 1/2 cup Plain Flour
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 200C
- In a bowl combine your ingredients for the garlic butter and set aside. Add more or less garlic and lemon depending on personal taste
- In a shallow plate combine your ingredients for the coating
- Dip your cod into the butter making sure that it’s all covered, then coat it with the flour mixture
- In a frying pan heat 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and fry your cod for a few minutes on each side until the coating starts to get some colour
- Place it in a baking dish and cover with the rest of the garlic butter. Bake for 10 minutes until it is cooked throughout
- Enjoy with your chosen side