Coffee and cookies are a match made in heaven, but add in chocolate it’s a party in your mouth. Now turn it into an ice cream and join in me in the bliss.
At the beginning of the summer I got an ice cream machine, as I wanted to start making my own low fat ice creams. Boy did that backfire on me! This mocha ice cream with cookie dough is one of those things your waistline will hate you for, but I promise you it’s worth it!
I didn’t get a fancy machine, as I wasn’t an expert. I just ordered the cheapest one on Amazon, it’s not fancy but it does the job.
A few things to note for this recipe.
Use good quality instant coffee! Believe me, it makes a difference, and don’t just chuck in ground beans because that’s way too strong. I use Nescafé Azera espresso powder, however I have used the Americano powder in previous versions and it did not disappoint.
Same goes for the chocolate, you will need good quality ones. As per usual I’m using Dr Oatker chocolate, and for the powder I went for Cadbury’s.
The cookie dough is totally optional, in fact without cookie dough, this ice cream is the perfect rich topping for my caramel brownies. I use egg free cookie dough, however in the UK as long as the eggs have the red lion stamp, they are safe to eat without cooking.
The recipe has a lot of steps however it’s quite simple and completely worth the time. I promise!
Mocha Ice Cream with Chocolate Cookie Dough
- Ice Cream Machine
For the ice cream
- 100 ml Milk
- 300 ml Double Cream
- 80 g Caster Sugar
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1 tbsp Espresso Powder
- 50 g Milk Chocolate Chips
- 2 tbsp Cocoa Podwer
- 10 g Dark Chocolate
For the Cookie Dough
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp White Sugar
- 1 tbsp Milk
- 1/2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 50 g Chocolate Chips
- 55 g Unsalted butter at room temperature
- 40 g Flour
- Whisk the butter and sugars together
- Add in the vanilla and milk and mix well
- Add in the flour, salt, cocoa powder and mix well.
- Fold in chocolate chips and put it in the fridge to set
- In a bowl beat the egg and sugar until it becomes a pale colour
- Heat up the milk and cream, until it’s scalding but not boiling
- Slowly add the milk and cream to the egg mixture, bit by bit, whilst whisking
- Return the mixture back on the heat and add the chocolate chips and coffee powder whilst stirring
- Add the coffe powder and keep stirring. The cream is ready once it’s thick enough to cover the spoon
- Remove from heat and grate in the dark chocolate. Stir one more time and leave it to cool in an ice bath
- Once it has cooled down pour it into the ice cream maker and churn until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Form small balls of cookie dough whilst the ice cream is churning
- Once the ice cream is ready pour it in a pot and fold in the cookie dough
- Take a tablespoon of Nutella and swirl in it in the mixture
- Cover and leave it in the freezer to set