This creamy Cajun chicken and spinach pasta is the perfect quick dinner after a long day. Just like most of my recipes, it’s quick, easy and only uses a handful of ingredients. It’s a dish that can go from fridge to table in less than half hour which makes it perfect for weeknights and the whole family.
The star of this dish is the Cajun seasoning, I use one from Aldi. I am very impressed! It’s packed full of flavour.
The double cream in this dish makes this a very calorific meal, so if you’re after something a little lighter you could try my easy mushroom pasta .
The chilli flakes are optional, I like my food extra spicy so I always add them. I then like to finish the dish off with some birds eye chillies.
For this dish you will need to use fresh baby leaf spinach. It cooks quickly and it will not add too much water to the sauce like frozen spinach would.
I choose to use penne pasta, however fusilli or farfalle will work just as well. Usually I tend to stay away from long pastas when using creamy sauces such as this one.
Personally I like to use mature cheddar because of its sharpness, smoked applewood cheddar will work just as well. I’d stay away from mild cheddars as I don’t think it would compliment the spice well. Have you tried it this yet? What twist would you add?
Creamy Cajun Chicken and Spinach Pasta
- 250 g chicken breast
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 3 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 tsp Dried Chilli Flakes
- 1 tbsp tomato concentrate
- 2 tbsp tomato passata
- 300 ml Double Cream
- 150 g baby spinach
- 300 g penne pasta
- 1 cup grated cheddar
- 2 tbsp Flat Leaves Parsley
- In a bowl mix the Cajun seasoning with 2 tbsp of oil
- Dice your chicken and add it to the bowl. Make sure all the chicken is covered by the seasoning
- Dice the onion and mix the garlic
- Heat up the rest of the oil and gently fry the onion and garlic along with the chilli flakes and the tomato paste
- Add the chicken and the tomato passata cook it until the chicken is cooked
- Whilst the chicken is cooking, cook your pasta
- Once the chicken is cooked add the double cream and black pepper, plus two spoonfuls of the pasta water
- Add in the spinach and stir. It will wilt within a minute or so
- Mix the sauce with the pasta and add in the cheddar and parsley before serving.