Sour cherry and coconut brownies are a fun twist on my triple chocolate brownies. Moist and not too sweet, with crunchy macadamia nuts, they are a sweet little treat, perfect for winter.
The star ingredients of this recipe were gifted to me by Forest Whole Foods, and I had so much fun testing different combinations and ratios before these brownies came to life. I wanted them to be balanced, without any of the ingredients overpowering each other. This took some trial and error on my side.
The toasted desiccated coconut on top adds an exotic twist which you don’t usually expect from brownies. It’s a welcome contrast to the rich moisture inside. I always say that one of the key ingredients when making brownies is using good quality chocolate and I honestly cannot recommend their organic natural cacao powder enough, its richness makes it great for baking and pairs well with the tang from the sour cherries. For this recipe I am using milk chocolate instead of my usual dark chocolate. This is because I feel that dark chocolate needs some extra sweetness to balance it’s bitterness. I wanted the flavours of the cherry and coconuts to shine through with every bite, so I didn’t add chocolate chips.
To add some extra crunch I used organic macadamia nuts. When adding nuts to brownies I like to stay away from strong tasting nuts, like peanuts and pistachios. Macadamia nuts are a great addition when baking. Their mild taste and lovely crunch make for a lovely surprise and change in texture.
Sour Cherry and Coconut Brownies
- 141 g Unsalted Butter Melted
- 207 g White Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 115 g Milk Chocolate Melted
- 1/2 tsp Espresso Powder Optional
- 100 g Plain Flour Sifted
- 25 g Organic Cocoa Powder Sifted
- 1 tsp Coconut Flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 30 g Dried Sour Cherries
- 25 g Macadamia Nuts Chopped
- 2 tbsp Desiccated Coconut Flakes For the topping
- Preheat Oven to 200degrees
- Grease a 9x9inches square baking tin and set aside
- In a large bowl whisk the melted butter and sugar until smooth
- Add in the eggs and vanilla extract and whisk until all combined, for about a minute
- Whisk in the melted chocolate and coffee
- Using a wooden spoon stir in the flour, salt, cocoa powder and the tsp of desiccated coconut until all combined
- Fold in the nuts and sour cherries
- Pour into the greased baking tin and smooth it out
- Sprinkle the left over desiccated coconut on top
- Bake for 30-35 minutes
- Let it cook for 20 minutes before cutting *
- Enjoy with a scoop of ice cream or alongside your favourite winter drink.