Chicken soup is an old time favourite whenever a cold or the flu strikes. There is something comforting about it, and paired with the flavour of homemade dumplings, it always lifts my spirits.
Maybe it’s 2019, or maybe it’s the fact that I have a child in nursery bringing back an incredible amount of germs. Whatever the reason, this winter our little family has turned to this chicken and dumplings soup many times. In fact I make it almost as much as my spicy salmon one
It’s easy enough that I can make without having to stand for long or use my brain, which is perfect for when I am running about making sure everyone is keeping hydrated.
This soup goes great with some crusty bread, however I prefer the dumplings as they are softer, and easier to swallow when you’re unwell. The rosemary is a personal choice, but you can of course omit it.
For the stock I like to mix knorr’s vegetable stop pots in hot water, as it’s easy and tastes great.
For this recipe I am roasting the chicken, but if you have leftover rotisserie chicken definitely use that. It will taste just as great.
Another great hack, when it comes to this chicken and dumplings soup, is to use frozen vegetables. They come pre-chopped and all you need to do is defrost them. However for this recipe I am using fresh ones, as I know a lot of people prefer to use those. If using frozen ones, a favourite of mine is the Sainsbury’s ones.
Chicken and Dumpling Soup
- 4 Chicken Drumsticks
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Red Onion
- 1/2 Celery Stalk
- 3 Carrots
- 4 Crushed Garlic Cloves
- 1 tbsp Plain Flour
- 1/4 Cup Peas
- 1 Cup Broccoli
- 1/3 Cup Runner Beans
- 1/4 Cup Cauliflower
- 2 Litres Vegetable stock
- 1/3 Cup Chopped Fresh Coriander
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Dried thyme
- 50 g Plain Flour
- 15 g Unsalted Butter
- 5 g Baking Powder
- 2.5 g Caster Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Dried Rosemary
- 50 ml Milk
- 2.5 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 200degrees
- Brush the chicken with oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until cooked through.
- Finely chop the onion, celery and one carrot
- Dice the rest of the carrots and roughly chop the broccoli and cauliflower
- Heat up 2 tablespoons of olive oil and gently fry the onion, celery and carrot.
- Add the paprika and garlic and stir
- Add in the chopped vegetables and peas
- Stir in the flour and cook for about 30 seconds
- Add the stock and let the vegetables cook
- Shred the chicken and set it aside
- In a bowl mix the plain flour with the baking powder, salt, sugar, rosemary and butter and using your hands.
- Add the butter and work it in until you have a crumbly texture
- Add the milk to the flour mixture and mix until you have a soft dough. Using a spoon drop equal amounts of dough into the soup and cover it. Let it cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir the chicken in before serving and garnish with coriander