Today I am bringing you my seven ingredients aubergine fritters recipe. Aubergine fritters or “polpette di melanzane”, as they are called in Italy, are very simple and extremely easy to make.
These little balls, are filled with roast aubergine and deep fried, with a golden and crunchy breadcrumb coating. These are the perfect appetiser for a small dinner party. I recently started appreciating appetisers more and after posting my goats cheese and honey ones, it seemed natural to share these.
One of my favourite thing about these, is how simple the ingredients are. There is only a handful of them and yet they are packed with flavour.
If you prefer not to fry them, you can bake them, this might mean you get less of a crunch.
I like these without a dip, however if I was dip them, I’d go with some spicy marinara.
I add pecorino to mine as I prefer the taste, but if you can’t find any or if you’d rather, you can use Parmesan.
The most important part of this recipe is to make sure the moisture is drained from the aubergine. If they are too moist you won’t be able to shape them. If you do end up with too much moisture, simply add some plain flour. It will suck up extra moisture, start with a teaspoon and add as required.
- 4 Large Aubergine
- 1 Cup Fresh Parsley Minced
- 1 Cup Pecorino Cheese Grated
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 2 Eggs
- 3-4 Cups Golden Breadcrumbs
- 1 Tsp Dried Parsley and Oregano
- Vegetable Oil for Deep Frying
- Preheat the oven to 200degrees and brush the aubergines with some olive oil and poke some holes in them
- Roast them until they are tender, this should take about an hour
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the dried herbs, and set it aside
- Once the aubergines have cooled down, scoop out the insides and pour them into a sieve. Using a spoon push all the moisture out of the aubergine. Keeps pushing and stirring until there are is no more moisture coming out.
- In a bowl combine the aubergine, eggs, pecorino, minced garlic and parsley. Season with salt and pepper and mix with your hand.
- Shape the mixture into balls and roll each ball in the breadcrumbs mixture (see notes if your mixture is too soft or moist)
- Heat up the oil and deep fry each ball until golden down.
- Lay the fried balls on a paper towel to suck up the extra oil, and serve garnished with some pecorino and fresh parsley.