This quick chicken curry is an easy midweek meal. It’s tasty and fast to make and can be served with a variety of dishes, although our favourites are basmati rice or flatbreads.
The heart of this chicken curry is the precooked spice mix. I like to start by frying the onion, ginger, garlic and some peppers. Then I add powdered spices and let it all cook down, before blending the whole lot. I cook the chicken in the same pan, that way it is cooked and keeps the flavours of the spices. After pan frying the chicken I add the blended spices, some frozen spinach, tomatoes and water. I then let it simmer for a few minutes. If you have fresh spinach you can use that too.
I use the Russell Hobbs food chopper to blend my spices, however a hand blender will work just the same. When blending I make sure to add some cold water beforehand. This is to cool the mixture down so that there are no accidents when the appliance is turned on.
I like to use chicken thighs as I prefer the flavour of dark meat. If you prefer to you can use chicken breast. It will come out just as lovely. I find that this works best with boneless meat.
Quick Chicken Curry
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Small Piece of Ginger
- 1/4 Red Pepper
- 1 tbsp Mild curry powder
- 1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 tbsp Tumeric Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Tandoori Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Cumin Powder
- 2 Cardamom pods
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon Powder
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Powder
- 2 Cubes of Frozen Spinach
- 1 cup Sliced Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 tsp Tomato Paste
- 2 Chicken Thighs Diced
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Fresh Coriander
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Finely dice the chicken, ginger, pepper and garlic
- Heat up the oil and gently fry the onion, garlic, pepper and ginger for a minute before adding the spices and 3 tablespoons of water
- Cover and let is simmer for about 5-10 minutes to let the onions cook down
- Remove the cardamom pods, add a splash of cold water (to cool it down) and bled it down into a paste
- Add a tablespoon of oil into the pan and pan fry the chicken
- Once the chicken is cooked, add back the spice mixture with 1/4 cup of water, the frozen spinach, sliced tomatoes and the tomato paste, stir well and let it simmer until the spinach has completely thawed and melted into the curry.
- Garnish with the coriander and serve with some basmaati rice, flatbread or naan bread.