This smoked paprika chicken pasta is another super simple dish. As per most of my recipes this uses ingredients that can easily be found everywhere. It is extremely similar to my creamy Cajun pasta in fact the only big difference is the seasoning. Smoky paprika is one of my favourite seasonings, especially when paired with chicken. I originally had another recipe planned, but with all the lockdowns happening, I decided an easy 30 minutes one using basic ingredients might be more useful.
This isn’t my first recipe using smoked paprika, which goes to show how much i love this spice. My smoked paprika drumsticks, is still very much a staple recipe in our house.
For the pasta I like to use short tubular kinds, such as rotini or penne rigate. Ideally you want one with ridges so that each mouthful is saucy and full of favour. I am a very strong believer in good quality pasta and my favourite brands include Barilla and Napolina. Both can be found in every supermarkets at fair prices. If you can’t find short pasta anywhere, feel free to use longer ones. Just make some extra sauce.
The addition of spice in this dish is completely optional, the smoked paprika already will have an underlying kick. However I love spicy foods so I am always adding a little extra to all of my dishes.
One of the key thing is the basil in this dish. I strongly believe in the difference fresh herbs can make to a dish, so if you can, do use fresh leaves rather than dry ones.
I hope you enjoy this easy dish as much as I do and would lobe your feedback once you try it.
Stay safe and healthy, and remember to be kind to others when shopping at this difficult time.
Smoked Paprika Chicken Pasta
- 250 g Chicken Breast
- 4 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 tbsp Dried Chilli Flakes
- 2 tbsp Passata
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes
- 300 ml Double Cream
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Grated Cheddar
- 1/2 cup Fresh Basil
- 300 g Tubed Pasta such as rigatoni or penne
- In a bowl combine 3 tablespoons of oil with the smoked paprika
- Dice the chicken and add it to the bowl. Make sure all the chicken is covered in the paprika
- Dice the onion and mince the garlic
- Heat up the rest of the oil in a shallow pan and gently fry the onion and garlic
- Add the chilli flakes and tomato puree
- Add the chicken and passata and stir
- Slice the tomatoes and add them to the pan. Cook for about 10-12 minutes
- Whilst the chicken is cooking, boil a pot of water and cook your pasta
- Add the cream to the chicken, also add 2 tablespoons of the pasta water and season with salt and pepper
- Mix the sauce with the drained pasta and stir in the cheddar and basil just before serving