This chickpeas with spinach is a lovely sauce to have as a quick dinner. It is great with rice, quinoa or crusty bread. Lately the supermarket shelves have been empty. I know that a lot of people, like me, have struggled to find their usual ingredients. For this reason I decided to share this recipe. It uses very basic ingredients which can be found in most corner shops. Even the spices I chose to use are basic ones that most people keep in the cupboard.
This recipe can be adapted according to what you have in the fridge. It is a basic sauce that can be jazzed up with chicken or extra veggies. I like to add cream to mine, but that’s totally optional, so it can be adapted for lactose intolerance.
For the spinach I used fresh baby spinach, This is because it’s what my local supermarket had available, but if you can find some frozen one, you can use that instead. I always tend to have baby spinach as I add it to a lot of dishes such as my creamy salmon pasta.
I love using chickpeas, as they are quite filling and very versatile. They can be added to so many dishes and because of their mild flavour you can control what they taste like.
This chickpeas with spinach is something we tend to make when in a rush, or just before we are due to do a big shop. It uses basic ingredients and only takes 30 minutes to make.
Easy Chickpeas and Spinach
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Onion
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 1/2 tbsp Cumin
- 1/2 tbsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 cup Warm water
- 1 can Chopped Tomato
- 1 can Chickpeas
- 1 1/2 cup Fresh Baby Spinach
- 3 tbsp Double Cream Optional
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Fresh Chilli
- Onion Slices
- Start by finely chopping the garlic and Onion
- In a large shallow pan heat up the oil and fry the onion for about 30 seconds
- Add the garlic, stir and let it fry for about 10 seconds
- Add the paprika, cumin and cayenne and stir
- Let the spices cook for about 20-30 seconds before adding the water
- let it cook until it starts to brown and then add your tomatoes
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes
- Add the chickpeas, season and stir
- Cover and let it simmer for 7-8 minutes
- Add the double cream and stir
- Add the spinach and cover
- Let it simmer for 7-8 minutes
- Garnish and serve