Fried chicken is one of those things that everyone loves. However I hate deep frying things, so had to come up with a way to make it in the oven. This is my version of it and It’s easy, convenient and full of flavour.
When it comes to fried chicken, one of the best things is that crunch that you get with every bite, and when it came to oven frying I was determined to get that crunch. Because really what is breaded chicken if it doesn’t crunch?
I have seen so many recipes with tips for having the perfect crunch with a range of ingredients, from panko breadcrumbs to cornflakes. However I wanted a recipe which used ingredients that are always in my kitchen. I want to be able to make a dish on a whim without having to rush out to the shops.
Another very important factor is making sure the chicken stays moist. Nobody likes dry chicken, and simply leaving the chicken to rest in a mixture of egg and milk for 20 minutes ensures that it does stay moist. You can also use buttermilk for extra flavour, if you prefer. However, because I don’t usually keep buttermilk in the house, I didn’t include it in the recipe.
I like to use drumsticks as hey are just easy to eat, but this recipe works for just as well with thighs, breasts and wings.
So, after many attempts, I came up with a combination which gives me the crunch I wanted, and uses things that are always in my cupboards. A very simple mixture of plain flour, breadcrumbs, cornflour and baking powder. It works every time for me, and I believe that cornflour plays a very big part in helping with the crunch and sealing the flavour in. I even use it for my honey garlic chicken and that always comes out crispy and moist.
I always make sure to double dip my chicken in the flour mixture so as the ensure that there is a nice layer of crunch. After testing it with one coat, it just did not work for me. I also always s make sure to completely drench it in the egg after the first layer. I found that if I rushed this step, or didn’t use enough egg, the skin would just fall off in the oven. Not a good thing!
Oven Fried Chicken
- 4 Chicken Drumsticks
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 2 tsp Tumeric Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Dried Rosemary
- 1/2 tsp Dried Sage
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Ginger
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 2/3 cups Flour
- 1/3 cups Breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 60 g Butter
- 1 tbsp Milk
- Preheat your oven to 200degrees
- In a clean bowl mix the paprika, cumin, tumeric, basil, oregano, sage, rosemary, garlic and onion powder, salt, ginger and pepper.
- Take a pinch of the spice mixture and rub it on the clean chicken
- In a shallow bowl beat the eggs and milk together with 1/2 teaspoon of the spice mixture
- Add the chicken to egg mixture, massage the egg into the chicken so that every part is soaked in it
- Cover it and let it rest for 20 minutes
- Add the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and breadcrumbs to the spice mix
- Dip the chicken in the flour mixture, making sure it is evenly coated
- Dip it back in the egg mixture and tap any excess off
- Dip it back in the flour mixture and coat it evenly
- Put he butter in an ovenproof dish and put it in the oven for a few minutes until the butter has melted
- Gently put the chicken in the dish and bake it for 25 minutes
- Flip the chicken to the other side and bake for a further 15 minutes
- Serve hot